Site Loader

The last day before the Catalan Trial undergoes a short break started with testimony from people who wanted to cast their vote on the referendum day. Some of them were present in the polling stations where a major number of incidents were registered and some even reported being injured by the Spanish police deployed to stop the vote.

All of them agreed on the “very violent conduct” of the Spanish police officers despite the “peaceful nature” of the voters, who were simply raising their hands and crying ‘we only want to vote.

A woman is carried onto a stretcher by an ambulance crew, after scuffles broke out with Spanish Civil Guard officers, outside a polling station

A witness said that both Spanish National Police and Guardia Civil officers “beat people and pulled them by hair,” while another said he was forcefully removed by officers, who then kicked him “twice in the back.” The violence against voters continued even when they were on the ground, “dragging them as if they were lugagge”.

“The police, as it pushed us, struck us in the liver, and cracked the skulls of the taller ones when they cringed in pain”, said one of the would-be voters. “I remember the sound of batons cracking skulls very clearly”, he added. “I saw many friends with their clothes covered in blood”, said another witness.

Actually, according to the Catalan health department, CatSalut, some 1,066 people received medical attention for injuries sustained on the day of the referendum.

Looking for Puigdemont

The mayor of Sant Julià de Ramis, former Catalan President, Carles Puigdemont’s hometown, also testified in court. Marc Puigtió explained that they expected Puigdemont to cast his vote there but “he never showed up”, instead “an army did”.

The mayor of Sant Julià de Ramis: "Puigdemont did not show up on October 1. An army did"
Marc Puigtió, mayor of Sant Julià de Ramis, Puigdemont’s hometown

Since the President was supposed to vote in Sant Julià de Ramis, more than 50 journalists, besides many other people, were actually waiting for him in the pavilion that was bound to serve as polling station.

Puigtió explained that the Spanish police “came walking as if they were an army, straight up, going through an open door to the October 1 square, which is now how it’s called”. According to the mayor, the police officers “did not act too flagrantly because there were many cameras recording their actions, and therefore, there were many low blows”. However, they soon started to “throw people to the ground, leaving some of them unconscious”. Puigtió also accused the Guardia Civil of having prevented an ambulance from reaching the wounded.

Please follow and like us:

Post Author: FreetheCatalan9